Switching from reserves to active duty/MOS 3043
Create Post

Switching from reserves to active duty/MOS 3043

Hello all,

I'm going into the Marine Corps Reserve and i'm scheduled to ship out sometime in September of 2017 (my recruiter told me the date was subjected to change so I don't know the exact date yet). I was wondering if it would be possible to switch from reserves to active duty in the future if I chose to do so. My recruiter told me it's a long hard process, but possible. Additionally, I did an online search regarding this topic on different internet forums and so forth, but there was alot of results that contradicted one another.. Thus I thought I would ask marines on here.

Oh, and my reserve MOS is suppose to be a 3043 Supply and Administrative Clerk. How long would MOS school be for that? I tried searching online but couldn't find anything relating to the length of the MOS school.

Thank you in advance.

Similar Threads:

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Your recruiter is correct. Switching to active from the reserves is a long, hard process. It is possible, but unlikely at this time. Things may change in the future a bit with a new administration, but don't get your hopes up. If you want active duty, do it now. Once your reserve unit gets their clutches on you, they won't happily let you go.

As far as your MOS school, I can't answer that either. Guessing: six to eight weeks.

Thank you anyways sir.

Only possible way I know to get out of that reserve contract, is to find somebody qualified to take your place, before shipping to bootcamp. Your reserve unit is counting on you to fill that spot. They will not let you go unless they know they have a qualified replacement. Talk to your recruiter about this possibility and how it might work.

Thank you for the suggestions/advice sir. This also reminded me of something else though.

After finishing recruit training, MCT, and MOS school, I plan on beginning college and applying for the USMC's Platoon Leadership Class. Assuming I actually do make the selection board and eventually earn a commission upon graduating, would I stay as an officer in the reserves, or would I get switched to actives?

Based on my knowledge and from what I've been informed so far from my recruiter, things apparently work quite differently if you get commissioned? I'm considering taking tuition assistance from the PLC program to help pay for education expenses and according to another website, there is an obligation to serve for at least four years if I do so. However, its sort of confusing - the webpage states that there is a military service obligation of four years if you do use tuition assistance, but than goes on to state that those who accept it will have to serve four years as an enlisted Marine if they refuse a commission into the reserves.

I guess either way that could allow me to become an active duty Marine for a period of time, though as stated earlier, the info was a bit confusing. I haven't asked my recruiter yet seeing as its a Sunday and they're best left to enjoy themselves, though I will ask tomorrow when we meet up. In the meantime though, I just wanted to check with other Marines as well.

Last edited by FoxtrotOscar; 12-12-16 at 03:55 PM. Reason: "M" in Marines

Lesson Number ONE - Capitalize the M in Marines....

Your Recruiter should have those answers, if he doesn't the Officer Selection Office (OSO) at the main Recruiting Station will...

Read the similar threads beneath your post.

Thread Information